Monday, November 30, 2015

Dolly The Sheep


Dolly the Sheep

Figure 1: Dolly [Web Image]. (2006, July 4).
Hello, my name is Dolly the Sheep and I am the first ever-cloned animal. Figure 1 shows how big I have grown since I was created inside the laboratory. Before I tell you about how I was created first let me explain to you what a clone is. (1) A clone is a cell, cell product, or organism that is genetically identical to the unit or individual from which it is derived. A scientist named Ian Wilmut created me; thankfully for this guy I was created and cloned from another sheep’s DNA. As awesome as that sounds my creation has caused tremendous debate throughout the world. Many people believe that clones like me are not ready for society, but I beg to differ.

My Creation


         Since I was the first animal to be cloned from the cell of an adult, I am the most famous clone. Ian Wilmut and his team at Roslin Ins
Figure 2: How Cloning Works. (n.d.).
titute were successful with me after 277 attempts. Figure 2 shows how cloning works, but I will explain it more thoroughly. (3) To start, scientists used an udder cell from a six-year-old Finn Dorset white sheep. (2) A cell is a microscopic structure containing nuclear and cytoplasmic material enclosed by a membrane and it is the basic structural unit of all organisms. They took the udder cell and injected it into an unfertilized egg that had its nucleus removed. The nucleus is like the brain of the cell and it holds the entire DNA. The scientists then used electronic pulses that helped fuse the udder cell and egg together. After successfully creating the embryo (an unborn offspring in the process of development) the scientists implanted me into a surrogate mother so I could grow. A surrogate mother is a female that carries the baby in place of the biological parent. The sheep that was my surrogate mother carried me for 148 days until she gave birth to me. After 277 attempts I was the first successfully cloned animal from an adult cell. Thankfully for Ian Wilmut and his team at Roslin Institute I lived a pampered life.

Benefits

         Cloning has many benefits for the world and my creation has helped prove that. (3) Since my success, not only sheep are being cloned from adult cells. Cats, rabbits, horses, pigs, goats, and cattle all have been created because of my breakthrough. Many animals can be created through cloning, which not only helps animals it helps humans. (4) Cloning can lead to more successful organ transplants because of a shortage of suitable organ donors. Many patients die waiting for organs because there are no suitable donors. For example, if you are in need of a kidney scientists can create what you need in a lab using cloning technology instead of waiting for someone that is suitable. (4) The “green movement” an area of interest in the world will benefit from cloning. Cloning technology would allow scientists to preserve endangered species such as pandas and cheetahs. The technology that is used can allow many endangered species to live on without the need of natural reproduction. The need for organs in transplants and the need for the preservation of endangered species allows cloning to be acceptable among a broad range of people. Making cloning an acceptable practice can be tricky, but the benefits that cloning brings allows many people to accept it.

Life Cut Short

Figure 3: Dolly and her Lamb, Bonnie [Web Image]. (n.d.).
       Some could say I lived a pretty good life while being at the Roslin Institute. (3) I was able to mate and produce babies of my own the normal way. You can see in figure 3 an image of my lamb, and I at the Roslin Institute. It is now February 14th 2003 and I am six and a half. (3) I have been suffering from arthritis in my hind leg joint and a lung tumor that is common among sheep raised indoors. I am not sure how much longer I am going to live, so I wanted to explain my story to the world. I overheard the scientists talking about putting me to sleep because of the pain I have been experiencing. My creation has helped break scientific grounds and produced evidence that cloning can be used; therefore I have lived a successful and meaningful life.


References

(1) Buratovich, Michael A. (2014). Salem Press Encyclopedia of Science.

(2) Cell - Dictionary Definition. (n.d.). Retrieved November 30, 2015.
(3) Animal Research. (2015). Cloning Dolly the Sheep. Retrieved from Animal Research website: http://www.animalresearch.info/en/medical-advances/timeline/cloning-dolly-the-sheep/
(4) Stonecypher, L., & Zaykoski, L. (2015, March 16). Remembering Dolly: Future Benefits of Cloning. Retrieved from Bright Hub website: http://www.brighthub.com/science/genetics/articles/13038.aspx

No comments:

Post a Comment